Tic Toc Tunes Music Publishing
The Right Tunes.
Right On Time!
Home l Privacy Policy l Terms and Conditions l ContactUs

Tic Toc Tunes - A Forum for Singers, Songwriters and Independent Music Publishers

setting up a publishing company question

General discussion forum for independent music publishers.

Moderator: ahh OM

setting up a publishing company question

Postby kidboy500 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 00:37

I have recently started the process of starting up my own publishing company. My question is lets say I want to try to get a song placed from an outside writer who has already recorded and registered the song with BMI or ASCAP. How do I go about it so my company can collect monies as well? I know I will have a contract with this writer for that particular song, but if they said they are the publisher with BMI how can someone like me come in and work that song?

This is new to me and very confusing, any help is greatly appreciated!
kidboy500
Fan

Re: setting up a publishing company question

Postby ahh OM » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:58

OK, at BMI and other Performing Rights Organizations like ASCAP there are two kinds of accounts, a writer account and a publisher account. A writer can register their songs in a writer account, which is what I presume your client has done. All you need to do is open a publisher account at BMI, for instance, and register the song under your account. BMI will see the song has already been registered and will send the songwriter a notice that someone else in trying to claim their song. Then your client can reply to BMI "yes, kidboy500 is my new publisher" and BMI will adjust the record in the database. This process should work even if they opened a writer and a publisher account.
ahh OM
Forum Moderator
ahh OM
Roadie

Postby jahzoone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27

Just a few notes about multiple song claimants. Ultimately it is the writers responsibility to make sure that the the database records are correct to insure they are paid the royalties they are due! I found an article on the web that I recommend reading http://www.goodnightkiss.com/registering.html . Also, you should read http://www.bmi.com/career/print/C1516 and look around the rest of the BMI web site under the Career tab, there are some great resources http://www.bmi.com/career/.
jahzoone
Groupie

Postby kidboy500 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 13:26

Wow...thanks, that was really helpful. I didn't realize that is how it works and really makes it so simple to understand. Now I have to research contracts. I'm looking for a standard agreement non exclusive song by song.

Thanks again!
kidboy500
Fan

Postby kidboy500 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 13:29

oh 1 more question.

As the publisher of lets say "Song A" how much of the publishing am I entitled to, I've read up to 50%. Who gets the other 50% and do I have to show for that or not?
kidboy500
Fan

Postby sing14ya » Sun Mar 29, 2009 18:23

The other 50% goes to the writer. I'm not sure what you mean by "and do I have to show for that or not" please explain. Have you read the post http://www.tictoctunes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23 ? Check out the link to the article by Alan Kron, I think this will answer your question in greater detail, don't forget the link to the second part of the article at the top of the page.

As for the contracts, I'm looking for some too. I have a few leads and will post the results after a little more research. I already tried contacting 5 or 6 music lawyers and after being asked for $2000 retainers decided to look for cheaper solution.
Sing14ya
sing14ya
Groupie

Return to General Discussion (independent music publishers)