Tic Toc Tunes Music Publishing
The Right Tunes.
Right On Time!
Home l Privacy Policy l Terms and Conditions l ContactUs

Tic Toc Tunes - A Forum for Singers, Songwriters and Independent Music Publishers

Proper Registration, representing writers not you

General discussion forum for independent music publishers.

Moderator: ahh OM

Proper Registration, representing writers not you

Postby HartasaRock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 17:46

Hey everyone,

I'm gradually learning this stuff, but forums always help me a TON. So, here I am!

I understand a good bit about publishing yourself, which is what I will do primarily, publish myself. But some songs I have co-written, and other songs I have obtained permission to cover (the same co-writer, but I didnt write any of these songs, so these are technically covers). So I ask this: What exactly do I do in this case?

1. I register my songs on my ASCAP writer account. (Check!)
2. I register my songs on my ASCAP publisher account. (Check!)
3. What do I do for the songs I co-wrote, or didn't write (but will be on my album)? - Specific things appreciated, along with any contracts or forms (ie. song submittal forms, etc.)
4. For previously released songs I have co-written (released on TuneCore), I can go in and change publisher information, correct? Can't I just have my publisher represent only my portion of the song?

5. I don't want to "sign" a writer to my publisher, but if I work with another writer, I may want to publish this song. What do I need to do here?

Thanks!
HartasaRock
Fan

Re: Proper Registration, representing writers not you

Postby ahh OM » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40

As you said, your just about there, for the songs you didn't write( ie. covers ) you need a licensing agreement from the copyright holder. There are some examples here http://www.tictoctunes.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=117, you can download and look at or modify for your particular need.

You may also want to take a look at these songwriter collaboration agreements http://www.tictoctunes.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=5&t=155, it sounds like these may be helpful :D
ahh OM
Forum Moderator
ahh OM
Roadie

Postby HartasaRock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27

Thank you for the reply! Yes that info was helpful. So now I know that I must get a single-song contract signed by my "writer," and I have to do song-split letters or agreements if there are multiple writers.

One thing Im unsure of though.

If an album is released and there is a song that I solely wrote, and another song I co-wrote, could that one song I wrote on the album be published by my personal company?

And, the co-written song, could I publish only my portion of the song? Like, my 25% of the song would be represented by my publishing company.
HartasaRock
Fan

Postby HartasaRock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:50

Yes thank you for those links, they were quite helpful. Its good reading things from other places too, they are explained a little differently.

So, I have to get a single-song agreement signed by my writer for the song I am "covering". And for the songs he and I co-wrote, a writer´s share agreement.

Something else I dont understand though. Say I write a song that is released on another album. Can my one song on that album be represented by my publishing company?

AND, say I co-write a song on another album (that I am not releasing myself). Can my publishing company represent my portion of the song?
- Say I co-write a song and it gets huge and makes $1,000,000 in royalties. I have half the writers share as well as half the publishers share (since I am only "publishing" my portion). So of those royalties, I would get $250,000 from my writers share, and $250,000 for my publishers share.

Is that right?
HartasaRock
Fan

Return to General Discussion (independent music publishers)