Tic Toc Tunes Music Publishing
The Right Tunes.
Right On Time!
Home l Privacy Policy l Terms and Conditions l ContactUs

Tic Toc Tunes - A Forum for Singers, Songwriters and Independent Music Publishers

How do I become a successful music producer?

General discussion forum for independent music publishers.

Moderator: ahh OM

How do I become a successful music producer?

Postby markthomas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 05:19

I'm an independent music producer. How do I create a successful career for myself in the music industry?

What steps should I take? I'm unsigned. Must I get a manager or publisher etc?
markthomas
Fan

Re: How do I become a successful music producer?

Postby ahh OM » Tue Jan 18, 2011 15:03

Well I wish I had all the right answers to this question :) . I don't think you need a publisher at first. I chose to self publish, with the advent of the internet this has become a more viable option.

Definitely be sure to copyright your work, it's easy to do yourself and it doesn't cost too much ($65.00 for sound recording). Here's list of fees from the Copyright Office web site http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html . I recommend filing a compilation that will dramatically reduce the cost.

You have to have some kind of web presence, a web site, mySpace, facebook or similar. You need some media / content mp3s, videos, show dates, etc... If you play local venues use those arenas to promote you music with CD's or fliers directing people to your web site for free download of mp3s or discounts on purchases and the like.

It might also be a good idea to join a Professional Rights Organization like ASCAP or BMI.
ahh OM
Forum Moderator
ahh OM
Roadie

Return to General Discussion (independent music publishers)