Tic Toc Tunes Music Publishing
The Right Tunes.
Right On Time!
Home l Privacy Policy l Terms and Conditions l ContactUs

Tic Toc Tunes - A Forum for Singers, Songwriters and Independent Music Publishers

Should Song Lyrics Rhyme

General discussion forum for singer/songwriters.

Moderator: ahh OM

Should Song Lyrics Rhyme

Postby sing14ya » Sun Feb 08, 2009 19:45

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I like to write songs for fun and was just wondering if my song lyrics should rhyme? I hear songs on the radio and they really sound sort of like poems, the words roll off the tongue one to the next. In some of the songs I've written the words don't seem to go together so smoothly. Does this mean that my songs aren't so good?
Sing14ya
sing14ya
Groupie

Re: Should Song Lyrics Rhyme

Postby ahh OM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 20:15

Hi sing14ya,

Thanks for joining the Singers and Songwriters Forum. Just because your song lyrics don't rhyme doesn't mean your songs are not quality songs. Rhyming is just one technique a songwriter can use to appeal to a listener. There are many other 'tools in the toolbox' which can be used to draw a listener into a song. For instance, changing the phrasing of the singers voice, the instruments or the key the music is played in can be used to invoke an emotion that causes the listener to connect with the song.

If you study music theory you will find it has very little to do with music. It has more to do with the psychology of the listener, the way a listener perceives a particular sound. Does this note go well with that note, how does this combination of notes make me feel, happy, sad, fearful or excited... Music is really just a wave or frequency modulation our brains perceive as sound and interpret as what we call music. So what I'm trying to say is keep writing your songs the way you have been and look for different ways to manipulate them to appeal to your target audience and never think that because your songs don't rhyme that they are any less than ones that do rhyme!
ahh OM
Forum Moderator
ahh OM
Roadie

Postby JimBarfield » Thu Mar 26, 2009 19:39

Hey Sing14, and glad to see other songwriters in Atlanta here at Tic Toc Tunes!

Um, my take on the subject is that for the most part YES song lyrics should rhyme. However, it is never a good idea to use a word that cheapens the song- just in order to get a ryhme. If your song is about "oranges" - and no word will ryme with it- either use it again or use a completely different un-rhyming word.

Some of the best songs in the world have stanzas that don't rhyme.

Also what someone said above about voice inflection is very true. For instance if the rhyme you're trying to make just doesn't work as the last word in a line, then maybe it can fit a few words before the last word, and when it is sung the singer can kind of emphsaize that word, so that in effect the rhyme was made. Great technique!

Take it easy and good luck! Would be nice to see song lyrics of yours on here!!

Jim Barfield
JimBarfield
Fan

Postby erica sanford » Thu Jan 27, 2011 17:59

Songs or lines from stanzas need not necessarily rhyme. The important thing is to deliver a great song with significant/catchy words just to let your audience know what the song is all about. There are a lot of popular singles that don't have rhyming words yet the majority of people like them. Just write what you feel and let your audience feel what you felt when you were writing the song.

Erica Sanford
erica sanford
Fan

Postby jahzoone » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01

I have to agree with the last poster... Just write what you feel and convey that feeling to the listener, sounds like solid advice to me :D Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun :!:
jahzoone
Groupie

Postby tytebeats » Mon Apr 25, 2011 16:21

I Agree with the other post to this forum to a certain extent. Your song should rhyme, but it doesn't have to rhyme all through out your song. The reason I say this is because you stated your last song the words didn't go togetther as smoothly. Theirs a difference between a regurlar poet who quotes poetry & a music arstist who sings or rap poetic lines. With that said I still would say it doesn't mean your music is going to sound bad either. It all just have to do with your fans and how you ride the beat with your words!

Hope this makes sense!

www.tytebeats.com
tytebeats
Fan

Return to General Discussion (singers & songwriters)