Tic Toc Tunes Music Publishing
The Right Tunes.
Right On Time!
Home l Privacy Policy l Terms and Conditions l ContactUs

Tic Toc Tunes - A Forum for Singers, Songwriters and Independent Music Publishers

What is the Optimal Length a Song Should Be?

General discussion forum for singer/songwriters.

Moderator: ahh OM

What is the Optimal Length a Song Should Be?

Postby JimBarfield » Thu Mar 26, 2009 19:41

Hello all,

I have heard that right around 3:30 is the sweet spot for song length. But I have noticed some of the biggest hits of all time are considerably longer- the Doors come to mind- so does Peter Frampton, and so the Beatles and also Led Zeppelin...

Anybody have any feedback? Three and a half minutes just seems too short for my writing style...

Jim Barfield
JimBarfield
Fan

Re: What is the Optimal Length a Song Should Be?

Postby jahzoone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:29

I think a commercial radio song should be no more than 3:20 max, 3:00 is even better. I agree there have been many successful songs that are longer like Green Grass & High Tides, Free Bird, etc...You rarely hear these songs on the radio nowadays. Personally, I believe a song should be true to itself and has a natural ending time, whether that be 15 seconds or 15 minutes. Let the song find its own length. That being said, if we want our songs played commercially we must work within the constraints of the radio stations.

One way to get around this problem is to make two versions of a song. A "radio" version and an "extended" version (the complete / real song) that can be released on a Cd, video or Mp3 for fans who want more.
jahzoone
Groupie

Postby Jecksons » Wed Sep 16, 2009 16:32

I'd hit upon the perfect song length. I fist-bumped somebody! A track should be as long as it needs to be.
Last edited by Jecksons on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
Jecksons
Fan

Postby reednov09 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 01:27

Hello,

I totally agree with you but mostly songs those have length 4.00 min or above were hit.

Now a days the normal length of a song that will be played on the radio is in the three

minute range.So i think 3:20 min should be a average length for a song .
reednov09
Fan

Postby ahh OM » Sat Nov 07, 2009 05:27

I think 3:20 is about right too. Most of my songs are actually a little bit longer.
ahh OM
Forum Moderator
ahh OM
Roadie

Postby sing14ya » Sat Jan 30, 2010 15:14

Well it looks like there is a clear pattern here, that is, 3 minutes is the magic number.

I would like to bring up one point that hasn't been mentioned. As more and more listeners move towards direct interaction with artists and their music through the internet this three minute box that commercial radio stations have crammed artists into over the years, may begin to change.
Sing14ya
sing14ya
Groupie

Return to General Discussion (singers & songwriters)