Tic Toc Tunes Music Publishing
The Right Tunes.
Right On Time!
Home l Privacy Policy l Terms and Conditions l ContactUs

Tic Toc Tunes - A Forum for Singers, Songwriters and Independent Music Publishers

What Kind of Strings for a Child Beginner

General discussion forum for singer/songwriters.

Moderator: ahh OM

What Kind of Strings for a Child Beginner

Postby JimBarfield » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:02

Hello,

I just bought a new beginner's guitar for my 16 year old son who has been dying to learn how to play.

I was told that I should replace the strings with a good name brand- instead of the factory originals.

Can anybody tell me what size of strings a beginner should have on a new full-sized acoustic guitar? He knows how to play cello, but I heard that guitar strings need to be the right size.

Thank you!

ps/ If anyone has any advice on a new guitar for an 8 y/o my other son is wanting a guitar also.

Jim
JimBarfield
Fan

Re: What Kind of Strings for a Child Beginner

Postby ahh OM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 19:38

I would recommend .010 - .046 gauge strings. I personally prefer .013, however I think it will be easier for a teen to press down the lighter strings.

One other suggestion, I tried some of the gore-tex coated strings recently and I found they didn't hurt my fingers as much when I played. The coating is kind of slippery.
ahh OM
Forum Moderator
ahh OM
Roadie

Postby jahzoone » Sat Jan 30, 2010 16:03

I would like to recommend a neat little guitar for your 8 year old son. It's the Felix III (Felix the Cat) model by C.F. Martin. They made several series over the years with different art work. They cost around $500. Here's a link to some technical specs and pictures:

http://www.ballewsmusic.com/Martin-Feli ... lixiii.htm
jahzoone
Groupie

Postby andrewilson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 06:15

The majority of children start out on an acoustic guitar for one main reason - it's cheaper. If, as in the case of most parents, you have no idea whether your child will use the guitar for more than a few days, the less expensive acoustic option is more logical. On the other hand, many parents choose to start with an electric guitar because - let's face it - it's cooler and more fun! Because an electric guitar requires accessories such as a cable and amplifier, children's electric guitars are sold in starter packages that run about $100 or more. A children's acoustic can be had for half as much.
andrewilson
Fan

Postby jackkutcher » Tue Jan 17, 2012 21:04

andrewilson wrote:
> The majority of children start out on an acoustic guitar for one main reason - it's
> cheaper. If, as in the case of most parents, you have no idea whether your child
> will use the guitar for more than a few days, the less expensive acoustic option
> is more logical. On the other hand, many parents choose to start with an electric
> guitar because - let's face it - it's cooler and more fun! Because an electric guitar
> requires accessories such as a cable and amplifier, children's electric guitars
> are sold in starter packages that run about $100 or more. A children's acoustic
> can be had for half as much.

i agree with you...
i
jackkutcher
Fan

Postby christin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 05:18

The best beginner guitar for a child will be small.Kids between 6 and 9 can learn to play steel string guitars. 8-)
Sloth , like rust , consumes faster than labor wears.
christin
Fan

Return to General Discussion (singers & songwriters)